Friday, September 27, 2013

Portomarin to Aixexe

Last night I was back in my bed reading and relaxing. This albergue was part of the "Red Alebergue" group. The first one of this group was in Logrono where the young lady stored our bags early and helped the girl from Germany with the huge blister problem. Anyway this is the second one affliated with this group that I have stayed with. This dorm had 132 beds of which there were about 20 beds taken. At about 6 give or take I was reading on my bed when there was a bit of noise, voices and laughter. Then louder and louder, and then WOW!  :-)  Soon it was apparent that there was a school group of young women and apparently they were staying here! So much for nap time!  Too funny as I was given what I thought was strict  dorm nstructions, boots outside, laundry outside, quiet, kitchen details,  no lights on before 7am, lights automatically out at 11:00, no noise after 11:00, etc., etc.  Anyway, it was just young voices, laughter,  louder, softer, louder, softer and I soooo needed a nap! After A bit they settled down and I napped!  Woke up at 10:15, lights went off at 11:00 and so did the chatter! :-)

Was awake early so snuck out to the common area to check email. There were already two ladies there in a bit of a fuss as there was the most annoying alarm like noise coming from the direction of the leg massage unit. Too early for me, I went to the furthest spot away from the noise! Anyway, after a very few minutes, one lady went over and checked and then came over and said that someone had plugged their phone in and it was their alarm!  It is a Camino rule that you don't touch another pilgrim's stuff, hence she left it. We listened to it for about 20 minutes or so more. One of the two teachers for the girls, who I had met earlier wearing her fluffy bathrobe (obviously not carrying her bag! ) finally came and shut it off, apologizing profusely! :-)

This morning was really foggy, low too! Hmmmmm not too hard of a decision to stay put until light and check the fog then. In the meantime, Idaho aka Terri got up and we chatted. I asked her if she minded if I joined her and Montana aka Pam until we were clear of the long dark path which apparently went for several km according to my book! No problem! :-) I did go out check the weather about 7:15ish and a couple from Ireland said that I was welcome to walk with them! Too dark for me, thanked them and I waited for the girls!

I had been concerned since reading my book yesterday about having to cross a "rickety" footbridge first thing, so dragged out my book and then suggested that we go back over the bridge we came across on yesterday and catch the trail from there. All agreed and we headed off! Down the lane, down 60 steps and across the bridge,  only to find out wrong bridge! The girls were great! We had a good giggle then headed back to the bottom of the steps, then down the road and across the "right" bridge! The "rickety" footbridge was to our right and was closes! All that worry for nothing!

The girls are my age and we passed the time in lively conversation! Funny enough, we were not far out of Portomarin when a young woman suddenly appeared and asked us for a donation! The 7.5/8 km (depending on whose book) passed quickly enough, although I have to say that I was tired this morning! We even passed through a part of the camino that was famous as an open air brothel in the 12th century!  We stopped for a snack at a picnic area,  reached a cafe and coffee in Ganzor, and moseyed on. Was absolutely not thrilled with any of the hills we found today! At one point had to climb and wind around and over the highway which was ugly! Found another cafe in Ventas de Naron where a cold coke was amazing!:-)

We travelled through a few small hamlets/villages and finally after 20km decided to find a bed.  Chris from Ireland greeted us and pointed us to where he was staying  and the albergue we were looking at, 18 beds, 6 were taken!  Six euros for a bed, shower and laundry. Restaurant across the road. Perfect!

Cleaned up and found a beer. Chatted to Chris and a young man Alex from th US. He has his own tour business here. The group he had today was 9 folks from Colorado; who would walk a few kmand then he would take them and their luggage in the support vehicle  to their hotel at night. Very interesting young man! Pam and Terri joined us and we girls decided on food! Yay!  I had the pilgrim's dinner and a side of amazing octopus! Am learning that Galicia, this region of Spain are famous for their octopus recipes! Two glasses of red wine and a nap was in order!:-)

Cute little village! Albergue's hostess is Maria, She is busy knitting in the corner and visiting with whoever couls speak Spanish! :-)

Good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment