Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Day 2O Tricastela

I thought last night was going to be chilly so had both sleeping bags liners, socks and an extra sweater. Good thing as I needed them all! This morning at 6, it is windy but still dark. Have found the kitchen and am having coffee to warm up! I will wear more layers when I leave this morning including socks for mitts (I forgot to bring gloves so will use my spare socks :-))

Am now in the province where Santiago is located and am coming up to Sarria.

Left this morning in the dark, tried to time my departure to follow 2 French couples I met yesterday. Fooled me though as they went for breaky. Much to dark for me so I hung out, chatted to a fellow from El Salvador via Florida ad checked my book.  I watched a few pilgrims leave and decided to follow. One thing I did not do last night was check out the route leaving town while it was still light. We climbed a smallish hill, it was stupid dark, two girls in front of me with a light and others up ahead. I stopped to adjust my pack and a fellow came back down the path and said wrong way, no markers. Hmmmmmm! :-) I turned around back to the albergue while the other girls carried on. Almost back at the albergue and then I saw the arrow! A let a few folks go ahead and then I followed! More  yellow arrows so am all good!

Beautiful sunrise this morning. Definitely going to be a hot day! Passed another memorial for a fallen pilgrim.  Path curved downhill until we met a gravel road, big enough for one vehicle so must be a road!  Took off my jacket after not too long and then started climbing! We climbed to the top of Alto de San Roque. There is a statue of a wind battered pilgrim here marking the pass!  Got rid of the long pants there and took some photos. It was 8:30.

Really pleasant walk, warm, nice breeze, I reach Hospital da Condesa and stop for coffee. The bar/cafe had a huge old loom inside, guess it is antique tons of dust on it! :-) Sat outside watching pilgrims coming and going and listening to the crowing competition!

More climbing, finally pass Alto do Poio The path winds through tiny communities, sometimes it seems we are passing through somebody' s farm yard! Have to move out of the way twice for cows to go by. Carry on downhill over rough, stoney tracks and then more downhill! Arrive at Filloval where I find the cafe and down a water and a coke! It is crazy hot!

Keep going  more downhill and reach the municipal albergue on the outside of town. Find a bed, shower, do laundry and am off to find food!

Found a grocery store that is closed (siesta time) and finally a bar. Have omlette, ham, salad and fries and a beer. Awesome! Chris from Ireland came and sat with me for a bit.

Am off to find the open grocery store for tomorrow's supplies, then reading and sleeping!

No comments:

Post a Comment