Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Ponferrada

I forgot to mention yesterday, that while walking I saw various song lyrics written on sign posts, etc.  referencing the path. The last one I saw was "Coming down, is the hardest thing!" - Tom Petty" :-) No Kidding! :-)

We were up and the dorm moving fairly early, got downstairs and everything was dark - no coffee! We waited a bit as it was too dark to walk, and the albergue's resturant lights came on. Yay coffee! We had coffee with Timmy from Ireland and then headed out.

The path is downhill and at first gentle and beside the road, then it changed. Steep downhill, goat track size  in some spots, lots of rocks and shale! Finally get to flat ground at Molinaseca. Thank you Jude for the use of your poles!:-) We arrived about10:30 or so and found coffee and empanada!

A rather boring walk through the town along side the road,  up a grade that seemed endless,  eventually we came to a Camino path sign which was having us turn away from the highway and enter the city after passing through a little village and walking some country roads. The other option was to stick to the highway.  I was not keen about the highway option, and my map showed rural roads. So I followed the "country" route and Sandra followed the highway.

I had so much fun! Walked along country roads wide enough for a single car in a lot of places. After a bit, a cyclist joined me and we must have chatted for 20-30 minutes. He was barely pedalling and our conversation jumped all over the place - cycling, highlights of the camino, time allocated for the walk, etc. The best story was about his dinner companion last night. Ireland was in Rabanal and met a young woman who was walking along late in the day. She was concerned about finding a place for the night and it worked out that they ended up in the same albergue. He struck a deal with her that he would buy the groceries if she would cook. Somehow the fellow that ran the albergue got involved and soon she was cooking dinner for 6. The fellow at the albergue knew about the pilgim's blessing at the local church, run by monks. The young woman  went to the service, spoke to the monks and was now staying with them for 2 days! Apparently what she wanted to try but did not know how to about it! :-) Connections!  I never did get the cyclist's name!

I caught up to two older women from Barcelona and as we seemed to be the only walkers at that point started chatting. One of them could speak English and translated for the other. They are only going as far as Sarria this walk. They started pointing out features of Ponferrada, including the castle and cathedral that we could see in the distance. I told them that I was sleeping in the castle tonight and after the translation and laughter, they started calling me Princess Camino! :-) I invited them to dinner at the castle and then one of them danced! Laughing our heads off we carried on to the city where the paths again divided. I went right, they left. Those two ladies from Barcelona made the last few km such fun! :-)

When we reached the point where the paths divided I barely caught the gold sign showing albergues to the right. I did go off the main road  a couple of blocks but realized it was wrong and went back. I then saw 2 pilgrims so followed them from across the street. I came to an intersection and a tiny tiny older lady stopped me and said "albergue?" She then waved me across the street and then there was the albergue! :-)  I rounded the corner and in the gate and there was Sandra!  It was 1:08pm.

We waited until 2ish, checked in, got our beds (4 bed dorm, all women! Hopefully zero snorers!:-)) sorted the gear and then the laundry. Sandra went out for dinner and then potentially sightseeing, I opted to find a beer and then a supermarket!:-) I did just that! Found a beer and ate the best roasted almonds ever! Then found the supermarket, pasta and wine for dinner, supplies for tomorrow! 

One more climb!

No comments:

Post a Comment