Monday, September 23, 2013

Big Climb is done! Am in O Cebreiro!

Well, no excuse, just plain forgot! Typed yesterday's message and did not have the correct spelling of the various towns, and did not check this am. Bottom line is I still am in Spain! :-)

Left Vega de Valcarce this morning late! I slept from 9 last night intil 7:45 this morning! Was organized to meet Sandra at the bakery; once there and having checked my email, I had plenty of time as Sandra had sent a note that she was starting her walk at 7:30.  So after a coffee leche I headed out, wound my way through Vega de Valcarce and walked/chatted with a Dutch girl. Very pleasant! She talked about how running water motivates her and how hungry she is! She feels good though eating nuts, dried fruit and goat cheese. We walked for a bit and then she paused and I carried on! After a bit the path/road reached Las Herrerias. I stopped for a grande coffee leche and to warm my hands! After warming up carried on and there was the Dutch girl eating a sandwich, fruit and not sure what else! :-)  A little further was a sign saying "Horses to O Cebreiro". I paused and thought this would be fun! Shook it off though and passed by!  Walked on and now it is steep, steeper, steepest! As in holy crow, I will fall backwards! Anyway, I did not! Kept climbing and the horses with pilgrims  went by!  Followed the horse tracks and deposits and finally made it to La Faba! Pretty little village, looked for the albergues, found a few, everything really quiet! Found the fountain, watered up, and checked the time! It was only 10:30, so decided to keep going! Gradual incline through the village and then holy crap! Uphill again, and again and again! The horses were long gone and I kept walking and walking. I look down and there was 10€! Funny enough I had said to Sandra earlier in our trip that I was finding lots of money as in coins. Then bang! My room for tonight paid for! Connection?

Finally a tiny village called Laguna de Castilla! Tiny! There was a bar/cafe open but I had water and snacks so carried on! More uphill, there were a few other walkers but mostly quiet. After about a km found the stone marker saying that I had passed into Galicia! I kept walking and up ahead (finally) a ton of cars parked in an area overlooking the path/view! So up I went and bang there was O Cebreiro and the church! Need to find WIFI to communicate with Sandra, however; as the village was packed with people I thought it wise to find a bed first. Thought it a good idea to do the descent fresh! :-) So through the village (as in keep climbing) , asked two old men on their way to church, I assume! Albergue was up a smallish hill and then a line up!:-) So it was 12:00ish, found a spot in the line, albergue would be open at 1. I wait, chat with Chris from Ireland, Chris from Brazil, and a crowd of French couples! Finally open, got my bed! So now to find wifi and sent Sandra my location. Well that is not easy! Weak signals, lots of folks having trouble! Kind of strange that here we all are, on a pilgrimage, in beautiful scenery and the question you hear most often "have you found wifi?"

Anyway find wifi, send the message after muliple tries. It is 5:20pm on Sunday evening. I found a shop, augmented my cheese and soup and got breaky fixings. Backed to the albergue, found the kitchen and dinner!

Will go and find wifi to see where Sandra is shortly. Hopefully we will connect soon! We are coming up to the 100km mark before Santiago!

On my way back to my dorm heard music coming from a different bar/cafe. Stopped to have a look and there was a lady playng a big drum,  a man playing a smaller drum and a man playing the bagpipes! Hung out for a bit and enjoyed and then found my bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment